24 Nov 2010

What would you do for a Gerhard Richter?



"This is the tenth time I'm doing this, and I love it!", says a slender man in his mid seventies, one of many campers queuing up since 6am for the sale at the Royal College of Art (RCA) last Saturday.

It was two degrees cold and still dark when I turned up at the RCA in London to film the art enthusiasts eager to by a piece from The Secret exhibit.

Around the tents still up, a queue stretched over 100 meters, and continued around the block of the college building. Bundled up people were patiently waiting in the bitter November cold and spirits were high.

"I got hold of a Gerhard Richter piece last year." A smiling middle aged lady tells me as smoke from the cold streams out of her mouth. "I might not be as lucky this time, but it's just fun being part of this! My son has been camping here since Wednesday."

Worth the wait

At eight o’clock the doors to the exhibit open, and people quickly tumble inside.

A few minutes later the first buyers come back out, holding their little white envelopes containing their art piece.

Some obviously very happy with what they bought, and who the artist turned out to be; some more serious, but it’s hard to tell whether they are disappointed, or simply put on a poker face for the crowds.   

I leave inspired and full of admiration of these patient art lovers. I will definitely be here next year for the raffle which might win you access to the 50 first entries – no queuing required!

Even for an art fan as me, camping for days in Kensington in close to zero degree cold wouldn’t even be worth a Gerhard Richter.

No comments:

Post a Comment